Verona, church of S. Maria della Scala
Wednesday March 29th, 2017
Verona, Church of Santa Maria della Scala, facedes’s restoration
First half of the XIV century
Verona, Street of Scala
Friars Servants of Mary – Convent of Santa Maria della Scala
Superintendence for Architectural and Landscape Heritages for the provinces of Verona, Rovigo, Vicenza – arch. Gianna Gaudini
PROJECT AND MANAGEMENTS OF WORKS:
A.c.M.e.Studio (Verona) – arch.Giovanni Castiglioni, arch. Raffaela Braggio, arch.Genziana Frigo, arch. Filippo Legnaghi
PERIOD OF INTERVENTION:
main facade 2007
lateral facade 2009-2010
The construction of the church and of the convent begins in the first half of the fourteenth century on land donated by Cangrande della Scala to the Order of Servants of Mary. Immediately beloved to the devotion of Verona citizens, the building was repeatedly extended and modified over the centuries: the first extension of the church and of its orientation have been already done in the second half of 1300, important changes then have been implemented in the sixteenth to eighteenth and twentieth century. The current structure belongs to the restoration after the war, as a result of the bombardments.
The intervention has been a crucial opportunity for an accurate study of surfaces and structures that allowed to reconstruct and bring order to the complex history of the building and to address in a more proper way both the project for structural consolidation and the one aimed to the solution of conservative surface problems.
For further details see also the publication of the Conference Proceedings of Bressanone studies in Science and Cultural Heritage XXIV, 2008 – Restoring the restorations